Why?

I love to cook and bake, but things don't always turn out like the recipe. This is where I share my success and fails in the realm of all things food, and my journey as I attempt to bring out the culinary genius that is hiding in me...somewhere.

Search This Blog

Friday, November 19, 2010

Pumpkin Pudding

I adore pumpkin pudding, and nothing screams 'fall' more like a big bowl full of it! It is like eating the inside of a pumpkin pie...but better!

I boil and puree my own pumpkins, so I had to defrost my bag of pumpkin.  I would guess that you should use about 3 or 4 cans of pumpkin if you go that route.  You may need to adjust the spices. Bring the pumpkin to a boil until it has thickened.
 
Add one can of evaporated milk.

In a separate bowl combine 2 cups of white sugar, 3/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1 heaped tsp of flour, 1 heaped tbsp of cornstarch, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ginger, and 1/4 tsp allspice. Mix well.

Add the spices and mix with a hand  mixer.

Your mixture will turn darker, and should look like this.

This is the patience step, and I don't have much patience.  Crack 3 eggs in a separate bowl and SLOWLY add some of the hot mixture to the eggs.  If you add the pudding too fast, it will scramble the eggs.  Once the eggs reach close to the same temperature as the pudding, add the eggs and immediately whisk.

Ad a dollop of fresh whipped cream and voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment